Otterlayer’s heat resistant foundry cape sleeves model SL5-AX1 is a versatile and convenient solution for high heat protection needs. This allows you to configure a garment to your own needs, replacing areas that wear out at different rates at different times, saving you money in the end. Additionally, you can use different materials for sleeves, opting for a more flexible material, and choosing a thicker and more rugged material for the bib that attaches at bottom of this cape sleeve.
Features of Otterlayer foundry and aluminized cape sleeves:
- Covers arms and shoulders as well as upper chest
- Bib to cover stomach is sold separately - it can be attached using snaps on cape sleeves
CarbonX® is a high-performance, truly non-flammable fabric that will not burn, ignite or melt, and protects against molten metal splash, sparks, hot liquids and high temperatures. Through the Z-Flex® MLATM process or multilayer aluminization the CarbonX® base becomes coated with several layers of aluminum, protective films and high heat adhesives. If one layer breaks down, there is another available to protect.
At 10 oz. / sq. yd., Aluminized CarbonX® is among the lightest fabrics that can pass the ASTM F955 pour test for both aluminum and iron. It also receives high marks for radiant heat protection and aluminum and iron molten metal splash resistance according to the European standard EN ISO 11612.
Protective properties of aluminized CarbonX clothing material:
- Lightweight, flexible and comfortable
- Resists molten aluminum and iron splash
- High temperature resistance - withstands over 800°F contact temperature
- Radiant heat protection - up to 2000°F
- Good insulation coefficient based on material thickness
Fabric composition and characteristics:
- CarbonX®, a proprietary blend of highperformance fibers with Z-Flex® Multi-Layer Aluminization
- Fabric Weight: 10 oz. / sq. yd
|Max contact heat||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)||Very high (over 800F)|
|Abrasion and tear resistance||Low||Low||Low||Low||Low||Low||Low||Low|
|Radiant heat protection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Molten aluminum splash||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant|
|Molten iron splash||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant||Resistant|